Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » General Quacking

Post subject: Friendly Floatees
 Post Posted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 9:49 pm 
Site Admin

Size of Rubber Duck Collection: 110
Remember that shipment of First Years rubber ducks (the Friendly Floatees) lost at sea in 1992? (See article here, if you don't remember: http://www.rubaduck.com/news/rubber_duc ... _world.htm)

Have you ever found one, or thought you found one, or known someone who has? Did you/they report the find? What happened?

Post subject: Re: Friendly Floatees
 Post Posted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 4:05 am 
Duckie enthusiast

Size of Rubber Duck Collection: 75
no i havent i wish i had

Post Posted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 12:18 pm 
Starting to squeak around!

It would be great to hear from anyone who had, that's quite a story! Would make a cute thing to do with little ducks - like a message in a bottle. Not sure if that's environmentally sound though, but it would be fun!

Post subject: Friendly Floatees
 Post Posted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 1:36 pm 
New duck in the pond

Size of Rubber Duck Collection: 0
Install a mobile friendly software. to access the site with the webrowser. it should go on fine.

Post Posted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 10:02 pm 
Site Admin

Size of Rubber Duck Collection: 110
It looks like there's a new book out about it: Moby-Duck: The True Story of 28,800 Bath Toys Lost at Sea and of the Beachcombers, Oceanographers, Environmentalists, and Fools, Including the Author, Who Went in Search of Them by Donovan Hohn. It's at Amazon. From a New York Times book review:

Quote:
“Moby-Duck” succeeds as harebrained adventure, as a cautionary environmental tale, as a deconstruction of consumer demand, and as a meditation on wilderness and imagination. Hohn moves easily between the micro and the macro, weaving personal histories into science and industry as he roams. In the Harper’s manner, he luxuriates in extended descriptions (which sometimes spill into lengthy endnotes) of objects, oddballs and his reactions to everything he sees. Listening to an oceanographer expound, in his organic garden, on zero-waste policies and closed-loop manufacturing, Hohn writes, “My upbringing in Northern California had taught me to distrust utopian strangers who talked about ‘economic paradigms,’ no matter how tasty their bananas.” In a Chinese toy factory, he pulls a 16-year-old duck from his pocket and fits the toy into its original mold. “For a moment I half expect some sort of cosmic magic to occur — rays of yellow light to come shooting from the mold, a portal to open in the space-time continuum. Instead, I just stand there muttering, idiotically, ‘Wow. . . Wow.’ ”

At times, I reacted similarly to “Moby-Duck.” Hohn seems to have it all: deep intelligence, a strikingly original voice, humility and a hunger to suss out everything a yellow duck may literally or metaphorically touch. Naturally, he can’t, but the chase is, after all, the thing.

Board index » General Quacking