Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Stranger than Duckie

Post subject: When is a rubber duck NOT a rubber duck?
 Post Posted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 5:38 pm 
Site Admin

Size of Rubber Duck Collection: 110
Looking at some of the pictures in the "strange duck" thread got me to wondering: what constitutes a rubber duck? Or, said another way, when is a rubber duck NOT a rubber duck?

I will submit my own opinion on the matter, though I suspect that everyone has their own definition. I say it should be plastic or rubber and more or less "duck-shaped", having a generally ovoid or spherical body with some suggestion of wings and tail, and a head with eyes and at least a suggestion of beak. I think some amount of bathtub-worthiness should be present. I think overall, the ornamentation/detail/decoration should not detract from the basic duckiness of the toy. In this regard, I think the Celebriducks tend to be too far over the line, and so do bath toys shaped like, for example, penguins; whereas the RubbaDucks I've seen don't violate this standard, being basically duck-shaped and (mostly) retaining the body, tail, wings, and beak of a duck.

Those are my thoughts - what do other folks think?

Post subject: Re: When is a rubber duck NOT a rubber duck?
 Post Posted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 7:18 pm 
Duckie enthusiast

Size of Rubber Duck Collection: 75
good question,, ok this is something that really get to me,, collecters with the majority of their RUBBER duck colection being PLASTIC..

their are no rubber duck shops in perth so i have to buy from the internet and it gets to me when someone says they collect rubber ducks and in their collection there is duck pictures, Plastic ducks plush ducks and only one or maybe 2 real RUBBER ducks

so here is what i say
these are not rubber ducks
ImageImageImageImageImageImage

but these are
ImageImageImageImageImage

Board index » Stranger than Duckie